Saturday, June 5, 2010

Rainy days

It been raining a bit pretty much everyday here. It's not so fun for me but the plants are enjoying it. I'm worried about the chill a little bit. The temperature has been at about 60 which should be ok. The melon may not like it so much.

Rabbits have eaten all the corn that sprouted in the westside of the garden I gated the east side and so far so good. A few corn sprouts have started in the small garden and the gate around that seems to have kept the cottontails out for now! All of the green okra that spouted had vanished. It was really windy a few nights ago and we lost a tomato plant. Luckily we still had a few seedlings and I replanted one. I think the wind may have got to the Okra. We have some more in the seedling tray that just starting to sprout so hopefully that will make it.

The first few lavender sprouts are growing I'm worried about the moisture lavender likes dry spaces. I'm going to grow it in a container when they perk up a little if they make it that long. Overall the rain has been good. Things are growing really fast right now.

First we have some corn the blue corn is growing much faster the the red. The blue corn has a shorter growing season so everything is ok.
This is Blue corn

This is red corn


The purple okra is doing really well and I think that one of the seeds may be albino!!!
if you look on the right the leaves on the plant have a light yellow veins instead of purple veins. I have to thin the okra soon and i really want to save this one to see if the fruit and flowers will be a different color as well maybe i can even get some albino seeds if it gets that far.

The melon is growing faster then the weeds soon hopefully the vines will start and it will cover the ground and block the weeds.


One of our neighbors bought some started plants from the farmers market. It's really exciting to see plant that are growing so well but it doesn't help my patience she's growing peppers, tomatoes, and onions.

Banana Pepper


Bell Pepper (and onions in the back)


Roma Tomato


Our sunflowers are really big already and sprouting new "true leaves" I think I'm going to name this one "Vincent" cuz I'm that cheesy

No comments:

Post a Comment